Have you ever been really excited about a sales conversation only to find, once you get on the phone, that your potential client isn’t really looking to work with you?
Maybe they didn’t understand that it’s a sales conversation?
Maybe you don’t even make it to the sales conversation… they cancel the day before… or the HOUR before.
I’ve been there.
In fact, I think one of the most common SALES challenges that so many entrepreneurs can run into, I know I did… is HOW TO MAKE SURE you’re having a conversation with the RIGHT potential client!
In the past, I had times when people were surprised we were having a sales conversation and said things like,
“No, I just wanted to talk to you and ask a few questions about your program.”
“I’m not actually ready to invest but I thought it’d be good to get all of the details now so I can work up to it… my goal is in the next 6 months!”
The way I love to solve this problem?
1) First of all, clean energy around the fact that that’s just were some people are, and that you’ve probably been that person at one point in time.
Seriously, do it. My clients who get super upset about this are almost always the ones who keep attracting situations like this.
You know how I do. I believe in all of that energy stuff, like we attract who we’re being. Probably because I’ve simply seen it SO. MANY. TIMES.
HOWEVER, you can protect your time spent on sales conversations by making sure it’s with someone who is the right fit.
Are you enjoying this post? I created a free worksheet to help you put these ideas into practice and start converting your potential customers into paying clients! Click the button below to get it instantly.
After all, free coaching is fine if you’ve decided you want to do it. Free content is an awesome way to support peeps, and you can do that too. But when it’s time to finally have the sales convo, make sure you’re doing all you can to ensure you’re spot on in terms of who you end up chatting with.
2) An application that peeps must fill out beforehand (I suggest they fill it out before they book into your calendar) AND one with THESE specific questions:
- First Name:
- Last Name:
- Skype Username:
If they aren’t willing to share the info above, you’re probably going to have a hard time inviting them to a conversation with you. The clients who are excited to chat about possibilities with me are happy to share their deets.
- How Did you Hear about Mel?
Don’t miss out on a GREAT opportunity to get clues about which of your marketing strategies are working!
- Please Describe Your Business:
- What are you currently doing to grow your business?
- If you could wave a magic wand, what would you want your business to look like in the next 6 months?
- What are your biggest business challenges at this time?
Is their current circumstance ACTUALLY something that you’d LOVE to support them with? Take notice of the language they use and see if it seems you have the same values and working style.
- What was your annual revenue last year? What is your annual revenue goal this year, and why?
If you don’t do business coaching/consulting, then perhaps ask a question that allows you to see if there are any signs of proficiency.
- Have you reviewed Mel’s coaching package and prices? Her 1:1 coaching package is $25,000.
While I didn’t always announce the price of my offers, as I’ve become confident and developed my brand, I just about ALWAYS like to put price out there. There are some exceptions, but I really like to know that peeps are prepared so we can avoid sticker shock.
- Are you serious about working with Mel if you both find it’s the right fit, and prepared to invest at this level?
- Why are you looking to coach with Mel privately?
- How passionate are you about taking your business to the next level, and why?
All 3 of these questions can have them stepping into the vision of working with you right away if they are the right fit. They allow this potential client to really become conscious of why they are very interested in the possibility of working with you.
I looove having these questions because most people who answer them all, thoroughly, are a great fit.
In fact, I can’t remember the last time that I got on the phone with someone who I felt wasn’t the right fit…
Try it out and let me know the improvements you see!
Here’s to transparent and genuine sales conversations (as they should be),
Don’t forget to download my free worksheet to help you start converting your potential customers into paying clients! Click the button below to get it instantly.